I just wanted to take this opportunity to wish you all a Happy Valentine’s Day. I hope that you do not just celebrate your loved ones on just this day but use this day as a little reminder of why you love the person you are with or to show your friends and family how much you love them. Jon and I have always loved Valentine’s Day and this is the last one we will spend as a couple without children. Next year we will have a very special Valentine to spend the day with and I cannot wait to share this day with peanut. Have a great day and single, married or in a relationship take some time to appreciate the people you have in your life! How will you be celebrating today?
Happy Valentine’s Day everyone! I will be wearing a maternity dress for my Valentine’s date tomorrow (Saturday) night but for the rest of you Express has a lot of options for date night. The other great news is that right now Express is offering 40% off every single item. Sale started on 02/12/14 and goes until 02/17/14. How is that for a deal? **This post contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links
Let’s check out some of the fabulous date night fashions!
Why not treat yourself to a Valentine’s gift. You deserve it! Sale end on 02/17/14
I baked these cookies tonight to give to Jon for Valentine’s Day tomorrow. Obviously you can have them anytime of year but to me the kisses make it kind of a cute Valentine’s treat. They turned out a little golden around the edges so next time I may shave a minute off of the bake time. If you are looking for a last-minute cookie idea for tomorrow or just love cookies like I do, you should bake these ones!
- 1/2 cup of butter, softened
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 12 chocolate kisses
- cocoa (optional)
- confectioners sugar (optional)
- In a large bowl or food processor add butter sugar and vanilla. Beat by hand or in the processor till smooth.
- Gradually add flour while mixing it. Refrigerate the dough for an hour to firm it up a little.
- Pre-Heat oven to 375
- Roll into 1 inch balls. Flatten the ball and put a kiss in the middle. pinch the dough up around the kiss.
- Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden or to your liking. Let cool and transfer to wire racks.
- Sprinkle cocoa, confectioner’s sugar or sprinkles on top of the cookies. You can also keep them plain.
- Makes about 1 dozen.
Did you do any baking for Valentine’s Day or are you planning to?
A friend of mine gave me this idea a few years ago for Valentine’s Day. If you are stuck on ideas for Valentine’s day, why not do a themed gift using the 5 senses. Use:
Start off with your 5 senses to create a great Valentine’s Day gift pack for your date. Here are some ideas for those that you may be spending your Valentine’s Day with.
Guys for the Lady in your Life
- Sight: a photo book. Make a book of all of the photos that you guys have taken together. The last time I made one we used mixbook.com and I loved it.
- Sound: make a mixed tape, CD or load your favorite love songs on an Ipod. Music is a great way to bring you back to a special time in your life.
- Smell: perfume. Find out what her favorite scent is and get her a bottle of perfume. My personal favorite right now is: Couture Couture by Juicy Couture
- Taste: I do not know many girls that do not love chocolate. Buy her some yummy truffles or try your hand at baking. Make her something yummy! You can find some great V-Day recipes right here.
- Touch: treat your lady to a mani-pedi or a couples massage. If you are really good you may try to learn the art of massage yourself and treat her to an at home massage.
Ladies for the Guy in your Life
- Sight: framed photo or a photo book. Another idea would be to have photos done or a boudoir photo shoot.
- Sound; a mixed tape, CD, Ipod. The same idea as above, give them the gift of music with the songs that represent your relationship.
- Smell: his favorite cologne. My favorite to buy Jon is actually Zara cologne. It is a great price and smells fantastic.
- Taste: bake him something delicious! All guys love home-baked goods. Last year I made Jon Chocolate Mousse made from of all things… tofu. It was delicious.
- Touch: get him something in a luxurious fabric. A cashmere sweater or a pair of silk boxers/pajamas.
Gifts for you Gal Pals
- Sight: go to see a movie together. A night out with your single gal friends can make V-Day a lot more bearable. That is what I did when I was single. You can also grab a DVD of your favorite movie with you and your friends and watch it at home with some wine!
- Sound: make plans to see a concert or put together a CD of songs that you guys love to sing a long to together.
- Smell: ingredients for a spa night. If you decide to stay in and watch a movie what wouldn’t be better than doing some at home spa stuff for you and your gals!
- Taste: bake or cook together. I love baking cookies with my girlfriends, it is a great way to spend an afternoon. Try baking these White Chocolate Chip Chocolate Pudding Cookies. They are easy and taste so good!
- Touch: grab your girlfriends and head out for a massage or some facials!
What are your ideas for some great Valentine’s Day gifts? Are you going to be doing any DIY V-Day gifts?
Good Afternoon Foodies! I have been so focused on New York Fashion week that Valentine’s Day had started to slip my mind. A great idea for Valentine’s Day is to cook a romantic dinner or to bake some sweets for your sweetie. I have been looking around on Pinterest with both ideas in mind. We will be headed out for Valentine’s this year but I am sure when the baby comes next year will be spent cooking dinner at home together. Jon is obsessed with salted caramel right now, the dark chocolate souffles with salted caramel sauce may be a good recipe for him! Here is a look at some of the recipe ideas I found on Pinterest for Valentine’s Day:
The above photo will take you to a whole bunch of V Day ideas from the great gals over at The Frugal Girls!
The Valentine’s Smore’s Bark is a great idea of a recipe you could make with your kiddies.
Chocolate Heart Peanut Butter Cookies
Dark Chocolate Soufflés with Salted Caramel Sauce
You can create V-Day themed dinner making regular foods into heart shapes!
Chicken Parm with heart shaped pepperoni!
My own recipe of Red Velvet White Chocolate Chip Cookies! These are amazing!
If you are not on pinterest you need to be on it! If you are then please click on this link and follow my boards! http://www.pinterest.com/nycfitfoodfash/boards/
It is February and Valentine’s Day is quickly creeping up on us. I know that Valentine’s Day is kind of overly marketed holiday but I am a chick and I love it. I have always been a huge fan of celebrating love whether I have been in a relationship or not. I also love Valentine’s Day in NYC. With the baby coming in March/April this will probably be the last romantic Valentine’s Day alone for a few years. I am lucky I have a great hubby and Jon has already planned a great evening for us. We will be going to see the Broadway play “Once” and having a romantic dinner. I have been dying to see the show and I am so excited for this! Last year we went to dinner at the 21 Club and it was amazing!
Even though I already have my plans set, I have been researching things that are going on here in NYC for you lovers out there and for those of you that will be visiting NYC over the holiday. I have found some interesting and fun ideas out in the city.
- Beyoncé themed Valentine’s Day dinner at Brucie in Brooklyn. I have no idea how they came up with this idea but if you love Beyoncé this may be for you. The menu is inspired by all things Beyoncé. A very unique Valentine’s Dinner idea that is for sure!
- Valentine’s Day Dinner Cruise. We have been meaning to go on a dinner cruise forever and just have never gotten around to it. World Yacht has a Valentine’s Day dinner cruise which is a 3 hr cruise on New York Harbor with a 4 course dinner. Definitely something that you should do in NYC Valentine’s Day or not.
- Central Park is one of the most romantic places that you can spend time in for free in the city. I know it is kind of cold out but grab a latte or a hot chocolate, bundle up and take a walk with your loved one. If you are really feeling romantic take a horse and carriage ride through the park. Better do that soon before the city bans it!
- Couples Spa Day is a popular thing to do in the city. If this is something you are wanting to do book it now. I took Jon for a couples massage on Valentines Day a few years ago as a surprise and it was a huge hit with him. There are so many Valentine’s Day deals going on at all of the city’s best spas.
- Take in a Broadway show. We are planning to see “Once” for Valentine’s Day. NYC is full of amazing Broadway shows. If you and your loved one like to go to the theater, this may be a great idea for you. If you do not want to splurge on the price of a Broadway ticket, off-Broadway can be just as fantastic!
Now if you are not in NYC you can still plan a romantic evening obviously. Here are a few ideas for a great Valentine’s Day:
- Breakfast in bed
- Bake some Valentine’s Day goodies
- Romantic dinner at home
- Dinner and a movie
- Ice skating
- Wine tasting
What are your plans for this Valentine’s Day?
Hey Guys! I am so happy that January is over. Is it just me or was this past January the longest one in history?? I don’t know if it was the Polar Vortex or just coming down from the holidays but it seemed to never end! I am so glad to start February, the month of love. We have started it off with the Super Bowl and now a snow storm today here in NYC. The great thing about this type of weather? It is perfect to curl up with the one you love. The most obvious reason that February is the month of love is Valentine’s Day.
This Valentine’s Day I will be on my own. Every year Jon’s work has a conference and I guess who ever plans this is not a romantic because every year he spends Valentine’s evening on a flight back home. He doesn’t usually get in till late in the evening. We will still be celebrating just a day late!
Whether you are single or married, Valentine’s Day can be amazing. When I was single I often used Valentine’s Day as a great day to appreciate my friend’s. V-Day can be an amazing opportunity to plan a girls night for you and your single gal pals! I often look back at those times as some of the best Valentine’s that I have spent.
Since we are on the topic of love and Valentine’s Day you can expect that there will be many love themed posts here at nycfitfoodfashion.com for the month of February. Here are some of the thing to look for in February:
- Valentine’s Day Date Idea’s
- NYC Fashion Week
- Valentine’s Day Fashions
I hope you are all looking forward to a fantastic February. I also love to hear from you guys. If you have any great ideas for nycfitfoodfashion.com I would love to hear about them. This will be the last February and Valentine’s Day that I will be spending child less. I am sure next Valentine’s Day will not be as romantic as this year will be! If you have plans already, what will you be doing on V day?
This photo was taken on Valentine’s Day 2010. We had an amazing dinner at Aureole here in NYC. Such an amazing restaurant! Definitely a great Valentine’s Day spot.